1 thg 4, 2009

Tutorial: Decorative Switch Plates

Source: Tiny Decor



Decorative switch plates can inject a little color and personality into a room. I generally prefer plain switch plates, but I think in the nursery or kids room a decorative switch plate is charming. After I made my first one of these with Mod Green Pod fabrics I was addicted. You can use any size switch plate. I like to use the stainless steel switch plates instead of plastic. For safety reasons, I have also developed a method that does not require folding any fabric onto the back of the switch plate.


Supplies:

  • Smooth Stainless Steel Switch Plate
  • Scrap of fabric large enough to cover switch plate (organic cotton swatches available in Tiny Décor Etsy shop)
  • 1/8″ hole punch
  • Sharp scissors
  • Yes! Paste
  • Mod Podge Gloss
  • Brushes for applying paste and Mod Podge

Step by Step:

  1. Trace switch plate onto backside of fabric. Trace the rectangle hole for the switch and mark the position of the screw holes. I held mine up to the window so I could center the fabric design on the switch plate.
  2. Use a 1/8 inch hole punch to punch out the screw holes.
  3. Carefully cut out the fabric and the switch hole. Note: You can rough cut the size of the fabric to the size of the switch plate and then trim the excess in Step 5.
  4. Use a brush to cover the switch plate with a thin coat of Yes! Paste. Apply the fabric to the switch plate making sure to line up the holes.

    I like to use masking tape or painters tape to help hold the fabric on the curved edges of the switch plate while the paste dries.
  5. Once the paste is dry, remove the tape, flip the switch plate over and trim any excess fabric with a sharp scissors.
  6. Use a brush to apply an even coat of Mod Podge over the fabric side of the plate. The Mod Podge will make the switch plate very durable and easy to wipe clean.

Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét