3 thg 4, 2009

Tutorial: Paper Bunting or Banner

Source: Tiny Decor


Buntings are a cute way to display a sentiment (like Congrats or It’s A Boy) or a child’s name (in this case my son’s nickname). I have really wanted to make bunting for my son’s nursery after seeing this cute “Hooray” banner in Me and Wee’s nursery. I decided to make my bunting from scrapbook paper. Here is the complete how-to for making your own.

Supplies:

  • 2 pieces of solid colored scrapbook (12″ x 12″) paper or card stock (I used two colors with a slight texture and sheen)
  • 2 pieces of patterned scrapbook (12″ x 12″) paper or card stock (I chose one from this Martha Stewart set)
  • Decorative cut outs (enough for each letter in the name or sentiment) - you can cut these out yourself from scrapbook paper or use die cut shapes. I used printable wedding table/menu cards by Gartner Studios that I found on clearance at Micheals, because I loved the size (4″ wide), shape, and of course the turquoise trim)
  • Circle cutter
  • Chipboard letter Embellishments or printer
  • Glue
  • Xacto Knife
  • 1/2 inch wide Ribbon (1.5 - 2 yards depending on how many letters you are doing)
Step by Step:

  1. Cut circles. I cut 6 solid colored circles (3 of each color) to 5.5 inches (about 1.5 inches larger than the width of my decorative cutouts). I cut 6 patterned circles to 5 inches (about 1 inch larger than the width of my decorative cutouts).
  2. Glue one patterned circle to the center of each solid colored circle.
  3. On your decorative cut outs, cut two slits about 1 inch apart and 1/8 inch bigger than the width of your ribbon. I used a metal ruler to space my two slits and cut along the edge of the ruler with an Xacto knife.
  4. Thread your ribbon through the slits in the decorative cutouts.
  5. Position your first decorative cutout at least 8 inches from the end of the ribbon (you need at least an 8 inch tail on each end for hanging).
  6. Glue the first decorative cutout to one of the solid/patterned circles you glued together in Step 2. Be sure to put a little glue under the ribbon on the back of the cutout and additional glue on the back of the ribbon that will be glued to the circle (this will hold the ribbon in place).
  7. Continue gluing the decorative cutouts to each of the circles making sure to evenly space them along the length of the ribbon. I spaced mine about 1 inch apart.
  8. The chipboard letters I chose for my project weren’t big enough so I decided to make my own letters. Print out the name or sentiment in the font of your choice. I used an American Typewriter font and printed it out on my laser printer.
  9. Tape down a piece of solid colored paper (I used the scraps from my patterned paper circles, the reverse side was a perfectly coordinating solid brown). Tape you printer paper with name over the colored paper. Use an xacto knife and “trace” around each letter, cutting through both layers of paper. This will cut out the perfect letters in any font you choose.
  10. Glue each letter in the center of your decorative cut outs.
  11. Enjoy your bunting!!! Once I get mine hung up in the nursery I will be back to share the photos.

Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét